Step 1: Magento Google Base Feed Account Configuration
Firstly, the Google Merchant Centre account has to be linked to the Magento store.
- In Magento, go to System >> Configuration >> Google API >> Google Base.
- Enter details of the account you wish to use to publish your products feed on. Select the default target country of your feed and select Yes in ‘Update Google Base Item when Product is updated’.
Step 2: Adding Required ‘condition’ Attribute To Magento
- Go to Catalogue >> Attributes >> Manage Attributes and click Add New Attribute.
- Populate all fields with following values:
- Then click on Manage Label / Options in top left.
- Type ‘condition’ in Admin and ‘Condition’ in all store views.
- Then click Add Option, type ‘new’ in all fields and add position ‘1’ and select ‘Is Default’.
- Click on Add Option again and type ‘used’ in all fields and add position ‘2’.
- Confirm by clicking Save Attribute.
- Go to Catalogue >> Manage Attribute Sets and select the attribute set you want to add the new ‘condition’ attribute to.
- Find the ‘condition’ attribute in the Unassigned Attributes section, drag & drop it to ‘General’ in the Groups section.
- Confirm by clicking Save Attribute Set.
- In order to populate the new ‘condition’ attribute, go to Catalogue >> Manage Products, select products you want to update, select Update attributes from the Actions drop down and confirm by clicking SUBMIT.
- On the next screen, find Condition, change it to new and confirm Save.
There’s also a video guide for setting this up available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_M3knNCB20
Step 3: Magento Google Base Feed Attribute Mapping Configuration
The list of required and recommended attributes for products can be found here:
- http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=171380 (UK)
- http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=160083 (US)
- http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=171382 (GERMANY)
First we need to map Magento product attributes to required/optional Google Merchant Centre attributes. To do that go to Catalogue >> Google Base >> Manage Attributes and click on Add Attribute Mapping.
- Select Target Country, Attribute Set and Item Type (usually Products) for your feed and click on Add New Attribute.
- Add as many Google Base attributes as you want and map them across to Magento product URLs on the left, e.g. Magento ‘SKU’ to Google Base ‘id’.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT MAGENTO MAY POPULATE SOME OF REQUIRED GOOGLE BASE ATTRIBUTES WITH “DEAFAULT/BUILT-IN” MAPPING ATTRIBUTES, meaning you may not need to map all required attributes as Magento will automatically assign them a correct value, e.g. ‘description’ gets assigned values of product description, ‘image_url’ gets assigned a value of image URL automatically, etc.
- Finish by pressing Save Mapping.
Step 4: Publishing Magento Google Base Feed
This is where we finally send products to Google Base / Google Merchant Centre.
- Go to Catalogue >> Google Base >> Manage Items and choose the Store View you want to publish products from.
- Click on View Available Products
- Select all products you want to publish
- Select Add To Google Base from the Actions drop down menu
- Confirm by clicking Submit
- You may be asked to fill in the captcha authentication.
If everything goes well you’ll see the notification that your products were successfully added to Google Base.
Magento Google Base Feed Errors & Troubleshooting
If you encounter the ‘Expected response code 200, got 400. Type: data. Field: item. Reason: Please verify and claim your website’s URL, until you do so you cannot upload any product listings’ error you will need to log in to Google Base account directly and verify account ownership.
If you encounter the ‘Expected response code 200, got 400, Field Type: Duplicate Description’ error then your attribute mapping is wrong. Try editing the mapping or deleting mapping which causes the problem. It may be the case that you tried to map attributes which Magento maps automatically therefore you don’t need to do it.
The official ‘Google Base Integration in Magento’ video can be found here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/video-google-base-integration-in-magento/
If you still haven’t got enough of this Magento SEO frenzy then take a look my new post about Magento SEO Tips – Website Launch Checklist -The ultimate list of SEO checks & SEO tips for Magento website launch.
Step 1: Magento Google Base Feed Account Configuration Firstly, the Google Merchant Centre account has to be linked to the Magento store. In Magento, go to System >> Configuration >> Google API >> Google Base. Enter details of the account you wish to use to publish your products feed on. Select the default target country [...]